Workforce Retraining Initiative Scholarships
Through the Workforce Retraining Initiative, individuals who are un- or underemployed as a result of COVID-19 can receive a scholarship to a Nebraska community college, where they’ll learn new and improved skills to find a rewarding, high-demand career. The initiative is made possible through a grant partnership between DED and the community college system.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
You can apply online at one of the following Nebraska community colleges:
Approved training programs will be different for each participating community college. All programs will provide a recognizable credential (e.g., certification) at the completion of the program that is known to frequently lead to a high-demand job.
The following is a list of all of the approved training programs (including online opportunities) by community college. We are continuously updating the list of training programs available for scholarships. Please also check with the community college you plan on attending, as they will have a full list of eligible training programs approved for the scholarship.
Who is eligible for a scholarship?
Individuals who are currently unemployed or underemployed as a result of COVID-19 are eligible. Specifically, if you meet any of the following employment situations you may be eligible:
- Unemployed on or after March 13, 2020, as a result of COVID-19
- Unemployed starting between January 1, 2020, and March 13, 2020, and now unable to find employment as a result of COVID-19
- Employed for less than 40 hours a week at a job which provides the majority of your income (Primary Job) because of COVID-19, and wish to be employed full-time
- Employed temporarily at a Primary Job because of COVID-19 but wish to be employed permanently
- Furloughed or laid-off from a Primary Job on or after March 13, 2020, because of COVID-19 (or had to close your own business which provided the majority of your income because of COVID-19) and are now employed at a new Primary Job with lower wages than your previous employment
Each participating Nebraska community college will clarify additional eligibility requirements.
What is the deadline to apply for a scholarship?
Most of the colleges will accept applications through the end of October. The colleges will create a waiting list if applicants outnumber allocated scholarships. Please refer to the program spreadsheet for dates to apply by for each program and the college application for more specific deadline information.